Monday, July 19, 2010

My lymphatic system...

Those that are close to me, know that, when I am feeling sick, I always blame it on my lymphatic system!

In reality, the lymphatic system is hard at work, with it's lymphocytes protecting  me against viruses and bacteria, which is exactly the opposite... and although I am quite aware of their work, I still blame it on my lymphatic system!

The lymphatic system exists in all our body, except the central nervous system and the major components are located in the bone marrow, lymph nodes, spleen, thymus gland and tonsils.
This system consists of ducts, nodes and organs that transport a clear, watery fluid called lymph between groups of cells or tissues throughout the body to filter out cellular waste and toxins. Lymph helps to distribute immune cells ( B and T cells) and other factors like fats and proteins. This system plays a key role in maintaining the fluid environment in the body.  
Lymph nodes become inflamed when a bacterial or viral infection causes the increased production of activated B and T cells, causing the glands to swell. Common causes of swollen lymph glands include cold and flu; ear infection; tooth infection; throat infection; mononucleosis; tonsillitis; skin infection; gingivitis and mouth sores. Glands remain swollen until the infection subsides.

There are other more serious causes of swollen lymph glands that I prefer not to include in my post today and that I will write about them at a later time...

No comments:

Post a Comment